The University of Memphis
Nine-Month Faculty Sick Leave Reporting
Sick leave is intended to meet the legitimate health needs of employees who are absent from the work place due to illness. Faculty are subject to the sick leave policy in a specific and direct way, even though their work assignments often require variable schedules both day and evening as well as assignments which include a wide variety of activities -- classes, office hours, committee assignments, and research in laboratories and libraries. This policy spells out the specific requirements for faculty and supervisors for the appropriate use and recording of sick leave. The charging of sick leave for time away from work by a faculty member due to legitimate health reasons is not a penalty; sick leave was instituted by the Tennessee Board of Regents to cover just such absences.
This policy applies to all nine-month faculty members who accumulate sick leave.
The purpose of this policy is to establish the procedures and processes for faculty sick leave usage, recording, and approval at the University of Memphis.
1. It is the responsibility of every faculty member to report the use of sick leave through the University’s electronic leave system to the appropriate authority, which is usually the department chair or designee but may also be the Dean or designee.
2. Sick leave is to be recorded when a faculty member is absent from teaching, research, or service responsibilities due to illness.
3. Each daylong absence of a faculty member from his or her duties during the regular workweek due to illness is to be charged to his or her accumulated sick leave at the rate of 7.5 hours per day.
4. If a faculty member is absent from duty for part of a day due to illness, the faculty member should discuss the appropriate sick leave time to be charged and recorded with his or her department chair, dean, or immediate supervisor.
5. Arrangements by the faculty member or the institution to cover the duties of the faculty member during an illness-related absence do not mitigate the fact that the faculty member was away from his or her work assignment; therefore, sick leave should be reported accordingly.
6. Abuse or attempt to defraud with respect to the use of sick leave is grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
The Dean of each college or unit shall be responsible for ensuring that a consistent process is established for reporting and approving faculty sick leave usage in the University’s electronic leave system. The process should take into account both planned and unplanned uses of sick leave with reasonable measures for preventing abuse or fraud.
|Timekeeping and Leave Reporting|
|Leave Transfer Between TBR Institutions and State Agencies|
|Leaves of Absence Policy|
| ||UM1791 - April 28, 2016|
|Academic||Finance||General||Human Resources||Information Technology||Research||Student Affairs|
| || || || || || |