- The employee must retain an active wireless communication device/services contract as long as a wireless communication device allowance is in place.
- The employee may select any wireless carrier whose service meets the requirements of the job responsibilities.
- The employee is responsible for all charges, including early termination fees and international calls. If the employee leaves the position and no longer requires the service, the employee continues to be responsible for the contractual obligations of his/her service plan.
- The employee must notify his or her department each time the cell phone number is changed.
- The employee may, at his or her own expense, add extra services or equipment features, as desired.
- Wireless transmissions are inherently not secure and employees should use discretion in relaying confidential information over wireless devices. For more information, refer to the University policy UM1691 – Campus Data Security Policy.
- Use of the wireless communication device in any manner contrary to local, state, or federal laws will constitute misuse, and will result in immediate termination of the wireless allowance, as well as possible other discipline, up to and including termination.
- The employee may be required to submit, upon request by the University, copies of wireless communication billing statements or other documentation, including phone call and text message activity, which supports justification of the wireless communication allowance. In this case, phone numbers for personal business may be redacted by the employee.