|Sick Leave Bank Plan|
The sick leave bank plan provisions are as follows:
- An employee must have been a member of the sick leave bank for 90 calendar days prior to applying for withdrawal of sick leave bank hours.
- Sick leave bank hours will not be granted to new members the first 12 months of membership if the leave is for absence due to a pre-existing illness or condition.
- An employee must exhaust all accumulated sick leave and annual leave, if applicable, prior to receiving sick leave bank leave.
- Sick leave bank leave shall not be used for elective surgery, illness or death of any member of the individual's family, or during any period when the individual is receiving disability benefits or Board of Claims (Workers' Compensation) benefits.
- Sick leave bank hours granted to individual applicants shall not exceed twenty (20) consecutive work days for which the applicant would have otherwise lost pay, and the procedure for requesting additional sick leave days to a maximum of sixty (60) days in any fiscal year, or ninety (90) days for any one (1) illness, or recurring diagnosed illness, or accident.
- When a sick leave bank member is physically or mentally unable to apply for sick leave bank leave, the immediate next-of-kin may make a request for sick leave bank leave on his or her behalf. If there is no next-of-kin available, this request may be made by the legally appointed guardian or conservator or an individual acting under valid power of attorney.
- At any time, the trustees may request from a sick leave bank member a physician's statement certifying the illness or condition of the member requesting sick leave bank leave. Refusal to submit the certification will result in denial of the request for sick leave bank leave hours.
- Sick leave sick leave bank hours cannot be granted upon termination of employment, retirement, cancellation of sick leave bank membership, refusal or inability to honor the trustees' assessments, and/or going on leave of absence in a non-pay status for reasons other than illness, injury, or disability.
- A sick leave bank member may cancel his or her membership at any time upon written notification to the University Benefits Administration Office in Human Resources. Assessed sick leave days shall be nonrefundable upon such cancellation and nontransferable upon transfer to another Tennessee Board of Regents institution or area school.
- Employees who are granted sick leave bank leave hours shall continue to accrue sick leave and annual leave, if applicable, and service credit for retirement and longevity purposes during the time they are on sick leave bank leave. Also, they will receive credit for any holidays that may occur during the sick leave bank leave period.
- Use of sick leave bank hours will be granted to eligible members of the program who have suffered a serious personal illness or injury, and have exhausted their personal sick and annual leave. Sick leave bank time may not be used for purposes inconsistent with being on sick leave, i.e., recreation, vacation, etc. Violations may result in the voiding of previously granted sick leave bank time at the trustees' sole discretion and may result in disciplinary actions up to and including termination of employment.
- Grants of sick leave bank leave hours shall not be contingent upon repayment of hours used or waiver of other employment benefits or rights.
- An annual enrollment period shall be established by the trustees. The trustees shall notify all eligible employees of their eligibility status and the dates of the enrollment period. Enrollment forms and copies of the plan and its regulations shall also be made available at this time.
- All completed official forms shall be forwarded to the University Benefits Administration Office in Human Resources for action and should be maintained in the employee’s official personnel file.