A. Chancellor or designee shall sign:
- Contracts, including grant agreements, that do not conform to this procedure;
- Dual services agreements in which the Tennessee Board of Regents ("TBR") Central Office is the vending or procuring party;
- Real property agreements, unless listed below as approved by a
University official (as provided in other policies and guidelines);
- Any agreement required to be approved by the Chancellor under TBR Approval of Agreements Policy 1:03:02:10;
- The primary operating agreement between the University and its
foundation and any other agreement between the University and its
foundation that does not conform to the requirements of this
- Banking and other financial services agreements; and
- Any other agreement, including purchase orders, for more than
$249,999.99 in total revenue or expense, except grant
agreements that conform to this procedure.
B. The President or designee shall sign
all contracts requiring TBR approval. For contracts not requiring
TBR approval, the President delegates to the following
University officials the authority to execute contracts on behalf
of the University, subject to applicable restrictions contained in the
aforementioned TBR policy and guideline:
- Director of Procurement and Contract Services: Contracts
that do not exceed $249,999 which include: Personal, professional,
and consultant services agreements and dual services agreements
not requiring TBR approval; trademark license agreements;
continuing education and public service short training course and
space use agreements; and other agreements of similar nature
which generally are considered to be the department's
responsibility within the University, which do not require the
President's and/or TBR's approval.
- Dean or Associate Dean of College of Communication and Fine Arts: Audio/Video/Film services agreements under $500. Such agreements must comply with TBR Guideline G-030.
- Vice President for Research: Sponsored
program agreements which do not specifically require the
President's and/or TBR approval. Research-related nondisclosure
agreements, licensing agreements, Memorandums of Understanding (MOU),
data use agreements, and material transfer agreements may also be
signed by the Vice President for Research.
- Appropriate Department Chair/Director or Appropriate Dean or Assistant/Associate Dean: Part-time
and temporary employment contracts for teaching faculty (only
those contracts for which delegation is allowed under TBR Policy
Nos. 5:01:00:00 and 5:02:01:00).
- Vice Provost for Graduate Studies or Director, Graduate School Services: All graduate assistant contracts.
- Vice Provost for Undergraduate Programs: Exceptions to credit hour and/or compensation limits for part-time faculty.
- Assistant Vice President for Human Resources: Employment and reappointment employee contracts for exempt staff, except executive appointments and coaches' contacts.
- Assistant Vice President for Human Resources or Senior Director, Workforce Management: Part-time temporary employment contracts for staff.
- Procurement and Contract Services Purchasing Agent: All documents related to the purchase of goods and services and others of similar nature which are repetitive.
- Athletics Director or Associate Athletics Director - Finance: Grants-in-aid and athletic game contracts.
- Director of Residence Life: Student housing agreements (including dormitories and married student housing).
- Director of Physical Plant Business Operations: University rental housing leases.
- Director of Student Financial Aid: Student aid agreements (scholarships and work-study programs).
- Provost: Study abroad agreements; Memorandums of
Understanding (MOU) with other schools regarding exchange of students
and/or faculty; post retirement agreements; professorship appointments;
employment and reappointment employee contracts for faculty; full-time
MBA graduate student assistantship agreements; and sponsored program,
non-disclosure, licensing and material transfer agreements over
- Vice President for Business and Finance:
University of Memphis Foundation agreements, Alumni Association
agreements using non-state money, and moving expense agreements.