Dr. Nancy Nishimura is an associate professor in the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research. Dr. Nishimura's primary research interests are: multicultural counseling with foci related to biracial and multiethnic individuals and spirituality in counseling. She has given presentations both nationally and internationally in addition to being published in professional counseling journals. Dr. Nishimura is also faculty advisor to the University of Memphis national award winning chapter, Kappa Zeta, of Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society. Dr. Nishimura is also a recognized site visitor for the Council of Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
- Ed.D. Counselor Education - The University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa - 1991
- M.Ed. Educational Psychology - The University of Washington - 1973
- B.A. Sociology - The University of Washington - 1972
- Associate Professor, CEPR, College of Education - The University of Memphis - 1999-Present
- Assistant Professor, CEPR, College of Education - The University of Memphis - 1993-1999
- Instructor, Counselor Ed, College of Education - Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis - 1990-1993
- Distinguished Mentor Award - Chi Sigma Iota (Professional Counseling Honor Society) - 2004
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Nominee - The University of Memphis - 2002
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Nominee - The University of Memphis - 1999
- Clinical Techniques (G) - The University of Memphis
- Foundations of Counseling (G) - The University of Memphis
- Multicultural Counseling (G) - The University of Memphis
- Practicum/Internship Ind & Group Supervision (G) - The University of Memphis & IUPUI
- Spirituality Issues in Counseling (G) - The University of Memphis
- Departmental - Counseling Admissions Coordinator - 2009 to Present
- Dept - Program Practicum/Internship Coordinator - 1999-2003, 2005-2007
- Dept - Department Library Representative - 1994-2007
- Professional - SACES, Regional Association Secretary - 2000-2001
- Professional - SACES, Regional Association MC Interest Group Co-Chair - 1998-2001
- Professional - TACES, State Association President - 1997-1998
- Professional - CSI Honor Society Chapter Faculty Advisor - 1997-Pres
- Professional - CACREP Accreditation Team Member - 1997-Pres
- Professional - ACES Journal Editorial Board Member - 1996-2002
- Nishimura, N. (2010). Four approaches to addressing a client's spiritual issues: An integrative class exercise in W.B. Hagedorn and D. Gutierrez. Integration vs. Segregation: Applications of the Spiritual Competencies in Counselor Education Programs. Counseling and Values.
- Nishimura, N. (2010). The greeting card experience in M. Pope, J. Pangelinan, and T. Coker (Eds.). Experiential Activities for Teaching Multicultural Counseling Classes and Infusing Cultural Diversity into Core Classes. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Nishimura, N. (2009). Chapter twelve: Case studies in D. Paladino (Ed.), Counseling Individuals, Couples, and Families with Multiple Heritages. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Hughes, G.D., Nishimura, N., Priest, R., & Schobert, M.A. (2008). Evaluation of a children’s day treatment center: A survey of parent post treatment attitudes. The Journal for the Professional Counselor, 22(2), 3-18.
- Priest, R. & Nishimura, N.J. (2008). Counseling multiracial clients in context in J.D. Raskin & S.K. Bridges (eds.). Context in studies in meaning 3: Constructivist psychotherapy in the "real" world.
- Pruett, J. M., Nishimura, N. & Priest, R. (2007). The role of meditation in addiction recovery. Counseling and Values, 52(1), 71-84.
- Nishimura, N. (2003). Counseling biracial women: An intersection of multiculturalism and feminism. In A.R. Gillem and C.A. Thompson (Eds.), Biracial women in therapy. Binghamton, NY: Haworth Press.
- Also, published in (2004) Women & Therapy: A Feminist Quarterly, 27(1/2), 133-145.
- Knickmeyer, N., Sexton, K., & Nishimura, N. (2002). The impact of same-sex friendships on the well-being of women: A review of the literature. Women & Therapy, 25(1), 37-59.
- Nishimura, N. (2000). School counseling program: "We know exactly what our students need": Rsponses to the incident. In L.E. Tyson & P.B. Pedersen (Eds.). Critical incidents in school counseling (2nd ed.), pp. 236-238. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Nishimura, N.J., & Priest, R. (1999). The fishbowl: A comprehensive multicultural learning opportunity. Race, Democracy and Education in the Classroom, 13(2), 25-28.
- Nishimura, N. (1995). Addressing the needs of biracial children: An issue for school counselors in a multicultural school environment. School Counselor, 43, 52-57.
- Priest, R., & Nishimura, N. (1994). School counselors and the challenge of acutely depressed students. Global Visions for Counseling Professionals, 2(1), 35-39.
- Winn (Nishimura), N., & Priest, R. (1993). Counseling biracial children: A forgotten component of multicultural counseling. Family Therapy, 20(1), 29-36.
- Winn (Nishimura), N., & Cecil, J. (1988). The decision to abort: Counseling issues to consider. Journal of Counseling and Human Services Profession, 2(2), 12-16.
- American Counseling Association 2007 National Conference (Detroit, Michigan, 25 March 2007), panel member Topic: Integration vs. Segregation: Spiritual Competencies in Counselor Education Programs
- Association of Counselor Education and Supervision 2007 National Conference (Columbus, Ohio, 19 October, 2007) Topic: Examining the Generational Impact of the WWII Internment Experience on Japanese American Women
- Nishimura, N. & Morrill-Richards, M., Memphis City Schools School Counselors Professional Development (Memphis, Tennessee 10 February 2006) Topic: School Counselors' Perceptions of Hispanic Students - Update
- Nishimura, N., Memphis Association of the Education of Young Children (Memphis, Tennessee 26 January 2006) Topic: Creating Strong Alliances
Nishimura, N., Pruett, J., & Stepherson, M., Tennessee Counseling Association 2005 Conference (Memphis, Tennessee 22 November, 2005), Topic: The Impact of Spirituality on Counseling Issues
Nishimura, N., Priest, R., & McGhee, D., Tennessee Counseling Association 2005 Conference (Memphis, Tennessee 22 November, 2005), Topic: School Counselors' Perceptions of Hispanic Students - Preliminary Finding
Nishimura, N. (Facilitator), Mary Jane Anderson, J., ; Bailey, D. F., Catharina Chang, C.,Grimmett, M.; Jencius, M., Liu, X., Locke, D., Priest, R., Thomas, R., White, J.F., Association of Counselor Education and Supervision 2005 Conference (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 21 October, 2005) Topic: Multicultural Idea Exchange
- Nishimura, N., Arizona Counseling Association State Conference, (Phoenix, Arizona 12 February 2005) Topic: Looking Through Cultural Lens: Empathy Revisited
Priest, R., & Nishimura, N., North American Personal Construct Network National Conference (Memphis, Tennessee 19 June 2004) Topic: Counseling Multiracial Clients in Context: A Constructivist Approach
- Nishimura, N., Thomas, R.E., & Priest, R., Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, Southern Region Conference (Athens, Georgia 10 September 2004), Topic: Counselor Educators' Personal Attitudes about Spirituality: Part II Analysis of Survey Results
- Thomas, R., & Nishimura, N., Midsouth Diversity Research Conference, Kappa Zeta Chapter, Chi Sigma Iota (CSI) (Memphis, Tennessee 4 October 2003) Topic: How Counselor Educators Incorporate Spirituality in Their Class Curriculum
- Nishimura, N., & Thomas, R., Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, Southern Region Conference(Chattanooga, Tennessee 5 September 2003) Topic: Counselor Educators' Personal Attitudes about Spirituality
- Nishimura, N., American Counseling Association National Conference 2002 (26 March 2002) Topic:Working with Biracial Women: The Intersection of Multiculturalism and Feminism
- Schobert, M., & Nishimura, N., American Counseling Association National Conference 2002 (25 March 2002) Topic: The Young and the Restless AKA The Gifted Undercover
- Nishimura, N., & Torgerson, A., Association of Counselor Education & Supervision, Southern Region Conference (Athens, Georgia 27 October 2001) Topic: Team Teaching: The Agony and the Ecstasy
- Nishimura, N., Association of Counselor Education & Supervision, Southern Region 2000 Conference (28 October 2000) Topic: Injecting Reality into a Clinical Techniques Course: Making It Real
- Nishimura, N., Memphis in May Student Affairs Conference 2000 (Memphis, Tennessee 19 May 2000) Topic: Highlighting Issues of Multicultural Students on College Campuses