Marie van der Merwe earned her PhD in the field of Molecular Pharmacology at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. She went on to do her postdoctoral training in the Department of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapy at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital where her work focused on identifying regulatory immune populations that have the capacity to induce bidirectional tolerance between host and graft after an allogeneic transplant. Since transitioning to the University of Memphis she has focused on diet and nutrient driven changes in the gut microbiome and immune system, with a specific focus on the role of nutrition in chronic diseases development.
- B.Sc.Hons Biochemistry - University of Potchefstroom, South Africa - 1998
- Ph.D. Molecular Pharmacology - University of Tennessee, Memphis - 2007
- Associate Professor, College of Health Sciences - University of memphis - 08/2019- Present
- Assistant Professor, School of Health Studies - University of Memphis - 8/20/2014 - 05/2019
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Health and Sport Sciences - University of Memphis - 8/19/2013 - 5/2/2014
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapy - St Jude Children's Research Hospital - 2009 - 2013
- Adjunct Faculty, Biological Sciences - Southwest Tennessee Community College - 2012-2013
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Molecular Pharmacology - St Jude Children's Research hospital - 2008 - 2009
- Food Literacy for Adolescents - UM Campus Community Fund - 2022
- Iris award - Tenessee Acadey of Nutrition and Dietetics - 2020
- SHS Faculty Research grant - University of memphis - SHS - 2019
- FIT development grant (partial) - University of Memphis - 2019
- SHS Faculty Research Grant - University of Memphis - School of Health Studies - 2017
- Faculty Research Grant for Science, Engineering and Mathematics - University of Memphis - 2015
- Sumara Endowed Fellowship in Cellular and Gene Therapy - St Jude Children's Research Hospital - 2010
- Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies Travel Award - Focis - 2010
- UTHSC Graduate Student Research Day - University of Tennessee - 2007
- CGHS Tracvel Award - University of Tennessee - 2006
- Exercise & Nutrition Immunology - University of Memphis
- Problems in Nutrition - University of Memphis
- Research Methods - University of Memphis
- Cellular Nutrition II - University of Memphis
- Advanced Human Metabolism II - University of Memphis
- Anatomy and Physiology I - Southwest Tennessee Community college
- MS. Nutrition Science - Chinanu Gubor (Chair) - 2024
- MS. Nutrition - Kierstin Davis - 2022
- MS. Nutrition Science - Alexis Salters (Chair) - 2022
- MS. Nutrition Science - Sarah Lennnon (Chair) - 2022
- MS. Nutrition Science - Aljowhara Aljeraiwi (Chair) - 2022
- MS-Nutrition Science - Suman Sharma (Chair) - 2021
- MS- Clinical Nutrition - Read Ageeli (Chair) - 2020
- MS - Nutrition Science - Martina Faietti (Chair) - 2020
- PhD Biological Sciences - Jyoti Bhuju - 2020
- MS - Clincal Nutrition - Paige Childs - 2019
- MS - Nutrition Sciences - Sunita Sharma (Chair) - 2018
- MS - Nutrition Science - Taya Yakimkova - 2018
- MS - Clinical Nutrition - Katherine Cook - 2018
- MS - Exercise Science - Jade Caldwell - 2018
- MS - Nutrition Sciences - Jacqueline Wyman (Chair) - 2017
- MS - Nutrition Sciences - Jessica Hill (Chair) - 2017
- MS - Clinical Nutrition - Brooks Crone (Chair) - 2016
- MS - Exercise Science - Damien Moore - 2016
- MS - Clinical Nutrition - Kimberly Boone - 2016
- MS - Nutrition Sciences - Simone Godwin (Chair) - 2016
- MS - Clinical Nutrition - LeeAnna Beech (Chair) - 2015
- Industry grant (PI) - Kaneka Corporation - 144,190.00 - 01/2020 - 06/2021
- Industry grant (PI) - Nutrasource - 22,013.00 - 6/1/2020 -12/3/2020
- Industry grant (Co-PI) - Mannatech Incorporated - $109,798.00 - 05/01/2018-04/30/2019
- Industry grant (Co-PI) - Mannatech Incorporated - $105,006.00 - 10/01/2017-12/31/2018
- Industry grant (PI) - Bergstrom Nutrition - $22,778.00 - 10/01/2017-12/31/2018
- Industry grant (PI) - Juice PLus+ Company - $398,720.00 - 01/01/2015 - 12/31/2018
- Industry Grant (Collaborator) - Sancilio Pharmaceuticals Company, Inc - $135,608.00 - 01/06/2016-12/31/2017
- Industry grant (Collaborator) - Enzymotec - $188,703.00 - 01/6/2016 - 01/5/2017
- SHS Faculty Research grant (PI) - SHS - $7,600.00 - 01.2020-06/2020
- FIT development grant (partial) (PI) - UNiversity of Memphis - $10,000.00 - 12/2019-06/2020
- SHS Research grant (PI) - University of Memphis - SHS - $5,929 - 01/2017 - 12/2017
- Faculty Research Grant in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (PI) - University of Memphis - $5800 - 07/2015 - 07/2016
- Food literacy for youth curriculum development - College of Nursing and College of Health Sciences (Clinical, Environmental Nutrition and Nutrition Science) - 2021-Present - Healthy Eating Institute
- Campus School/Masicorp Exchange - Study Tour Nutrition Students - Summer 2015 -
- University of Memphis - Director: Healthy eating Institute - 2021- Present
- University of Memphis - CHS seminar series coordinator - 2018-Present
- University o Memphis - Tenure and promotion Comittee member - 2020- Present
- American Society ofr Nutrition - Obesity Research Interest Section - 2018-2019
- American Society for Nutriiton - Meal Timing Sesson Chair - 2019
- University of Memphis - SHS Graduate Council - 2018
- University of Memphis - SHS - 2018 Faculty Research Grant Reviewer - 2018
- Marine Drugs, Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism - Journal article reviewer - 2018, 2019
- University of Memphis - SHS Assistant Professor search committee member - 2018
- American Society for Nutrition - Nutrition 2018 Abstract reviewer - 2017
- American Society for Nutrition - Obesity RIS steering committee member - 2017-2019
- University of Memphis - AADRA committee member - 2017-2018
- University of Memphis - NCUR Abstract Reviewer - 2017
- University of Memphis - SHS PhD program proposal comittee member - 2017
- University of Memphis - Research Assistant Professor search comittee member - 2017
- University of Memphis - Chair: Search Committee for Assistant Professor - October 2015
- American Society for Nutrition - Poster judge (conference) - 2017
- University of Memphis - IACUC - 2014-2017
- Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism - Journal article reviewer - 2017
- International Journal of Obesity - Journal article reviewer - 2016
- HSS - Departmental safety officer - 2014 -2017
- Book Reviewer 2015: Nutritional Biochemistry with Applications in Medical Nutrition Therapy, Jones & Bartlett Learning
- van der Merwe M,
Moore D, Hill JL, Keating FH, Buddington RK, Bloomer RJ, Wang A, Bowman DD. The
Impact of a Dried Fruit and Vegetable Supplement and Fiber Rich Shake on Gut
and Health Parameters in Female Healthcare Workers: A Placebo-Controlled,
Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial. Microorganisms. 2021 Apr
14;9(4):843. doi:10.3390/microorganisms9040843. PMID: 33920059; PMCID:
- Aaron Persinger, Matthew Butawan, Martina Faietti, Ashley Pryke, Kyley Rose, Marie van der Merwe, Richard J. Bloomer, and Melissa J. Puppa*. Effects of Feeding Time on Markers of Muscle Metabolic Flexibility Following Acute Aerobic Exercise in Trained Mice Undergoing Time Restricted Feeding. Nutrients. 2021 May; 13(5): 1717
- Von Schulze AT, van der Merwe M, Touchberry CD, Bloomer RJ. Ad Libitum Western Diet Feeding Does Not Alter Basal Skeletal Muscle Heat Shock Protein Expression in Sedentary or Aerobically Trained Young Rats. Recent Progress in Nutrition 2021;1(4):17; doi:10.21926/rpn.2104001.
der Merwe M. Gut microbiome changes induced by
a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2021;72(5):665-669.
- Richard Bloomer *, Matthew Butawan, Marie Van
Der Merwe, Faith Keating. An assessment of the glyconutrient Ambrotose™ on
immunity, gut health, and safety in men and women: a placebo-controlled,
double-blind, randomized clinical trial. Nutrients 2020, 12,
- Jessica L. Hill, Jacqueline
M. Wyman, Simone M. Godwin, Leeanna A. Beech, Randal K. Buddington, Thomas R.
Sutter, Karen Ringwald-Smith and Marie van der Merwe*. Dietary Omega-3
Fatty Acids Reduce Adiposity and Alter Glucocorticoid-Associated Transcripts in
Epididymal White Adipose Tissue of C57BL/6 Male Mice Raised on a High Fat Diet.
J Obes Chronic Dis 4(1): 13-22. 2020 Apr 6. *Corresponding author
- Van der Merwe M, Sharma S, Caldwell JL, Smith NJ, Gomes CK, Bloomer RJ, Buddington RK, Pierre JF. Time of feeding alters
obesity-associated parameters and gut bacterial communities, but not fungal
populations, in C57BL/6 male mice. Curr
Dev Nutrition. 2020 Jan 3 https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzz145
- Nicholas JG Smith, Jade L. Caldwell, Marie van der Merwe, Sunita Sharma, Matthew Butawan, Melissa Puppa
and Richard J. Bloomer. A comparison of dietary and caloric restriction
models on body composition, physical performance, and metabolic health in young
mice: Nutrients 2019,
- Beech LA, Ringwald-Smith K, Greear J, Van der Merwe M. Pediatric Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia and the
Effect of a Dietary Intervention on Glucocorticoid-Induced Metabolic Syndrome.
Oncology Nutrition Connection. Vol. 26(3) 2019.
- Brown KM, Sharma S, Baker E, Hawkins W, van der Merwe M, Puppa MJ. Delta-6-desaturase (FADS2) inhibition and omega-3 fatty acids in skeletal
muscle protein turnover. Biochem
2019 Mar 15;18:100622.
- Marie van der Merwe, Sunita Sharma, Jade Caldwell, Nicholas Smith, Richard Bloomer, Randall Buddington, Charles Gomes, Joseph Pierre. Diet Modification and Not Timed Feeding Strategies result in intestinal microbiome alterations. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 3, Issue Supplement_1, June 2019
- Marie van der Merwe, Sunita Sharma, Jade Caldwell, Nicholas Smith, Richard Bloomer, Randall Buddington, Charles Gomes, Joseph Pierre. Timed Feeding Protocols While consuming a High Fat Diet Do Not Alter Gut Fungal Populations. 13 June 2019. Curr Dev Nutrition.
- Melissa Puppa, Aaron Persinger, Katie Brown, Ryan Wible, Sunita Sharma, Nicholas Smith, Jade Caldwell, Marie van der Merwe, Richard Bloomer. The role of Fating INterventions on Skektal Muscle in Hight Fat Diet Fed Mice. April 2019. FASEB Journal.
- Tsungcheng Tsai,
Marites A. Sales, Haejin Kim, Gisela F. Erf, Nguyen Vo, Franck Carbonero, Marie van der Merwe, Elizabeth A.
Kegley, Randy Buddington, Xiaofan Wang, Charles V. Maxwell and Jiangchao Zhao.
Isolated Rearing at Lactation Increases Gut Microbial Diversity and
Post-weaning Performance in Pigs. Frontiers
in Microbiology/Microbial symbiosis, Nov 28 2018. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02889
- Richard J. Bloomer, John Henry M. Schriefer, Trint A. Gunnels, Sang-Rok Lee, Helen J. Sable, Marie van der Merwe, Randal K. Buddington 4and Karyl K. Buddington. Nutrient Intake and Physical Exercise Significantly Impact Physical
Performance, Body Composition, Blood
Lipids, Oxidative Stress, and Inflammation in Male Rats. Nutrients 2018, 10(8), 1109
Randal Buddington , Victor Chizhikov,
Igor Iskusnykh, Helen Sable, Jeffrey Sable, Zade Holloway, Tamar
Blumenfeld-Katzir, Marie van der Merwe, Taisiya Yakimkova, Karyl Buddington,
Yael Lifshitz, Shoshi Tessler, Ariel Gilbert. A phosphatidylserine source of docosahexanoic acid improves neurodevelopment and survival of preterm pigs. Accepted for publication: Nutrients. May 23 2018.
Delahye LB, Bloomer RJ, Butawan M, Wyman JM Hill JL, Lee HW, Liu, AC, McAllan, L, Han J, van der Merwe M. Time restricted feeding of a high fat diet in C57BL/6 male mice reduces adiposity, but does not protect against increased systemic inflammation. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. Accepted: 23-Apr-2018. [Epub ahead of print]
van der Merwe M,
Bloomer RJ. The influence of
methylsulfonylmethane on inflammation-associated cytokine release before and
following strenuous exercise – a case study. Journal of Sports Medicine 2016
Daniels JL, Bloomer RJ, van der Merwe M, Davis SL, Buddington
KK, Buddington RK Intestinal adaptations to a
combination of different diets with and without endurance exercise. Journal of the International Society of
Sports Nutrition 2016 Sep 14; 13:35
Esmond Arrindell, Ramesh Krishnan, Marie van der Merwe, Frank Caminita,
Scott Howard, Jie Zhang, and Randal Buddington - Lung volume recruitment in a preterm pig model of lung immaturity. Journal of Physiology. 2015 Nov 15;309(10)
Wright CM*, Van der Merwe M*, Bjornsti MA - DNA Topoisomerase I domain interactions impact enzyme activity and sensitivity to Camptothecin. J Biol Chem. 2015 May 8;290(19):12068-78 *co-first authors
Caminita F, Van der Merwe M, Hance B, Krishnan R, Miller S, Buddington K, Buddington RK - A preterm pig model of lung immaturity and spontaneous infant respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Physiol Ling Cell Mol Physiol. 2015 Jan 15; 308 (2):L118-29
- Van der Merwe M, Abdelsamed HA, Seth A, Ong T, Vogel P, Pillai AB - Recipient Myeloid-derived Immunomodulary Cells induce PD-1 Ligand-dependent Donor CD4+Foxp3+ Regulatory T Cell Proliferation and Donor-Recipient Immune Tolerance after Murine Non-myeloablative Bone Marrow Transplantation. J Immunology. 2013 Dec1; 191 (11): 5764-76
- Kimura Y, van der Merwe M, Bering SB, PenmatsaH, Conoley VG, Sangild PT, Naren AP, Buddington RK - Glucose transport by epithelia prepared from harvested enterocytes. Cytotechnology, 2013 Oct 29.
Morales-Tirado V, Luszczek W, van der Merwe M, Pillai A - Regulatory immunotherapy in bone marrow transplantation. Scientific World Journal. 2011; 27767-75.
Palle K, Pattarello L, Van der Merwe M, Losasso C, Benedetti P, Bjornsti MA - Disulfide cross-links reveal conserved features of DNA Topoisomerase I architecture and a role for the N-terminus in clamp closure. J Biol Chem. 2008 Oct 10;283(41):27767-75.
Van der Merwe M, Bjornsti MA - Mutation of Gly721 alters DNA Topoisomerase I active site architecture and sensitivity to camptothecin. J Biol Chem. 2008 Feb 8;283(6):3305-15.
- Colley WC*, van der Merwe M*, Vance JR, Burgin AB Jr, Bjornsti MA - Substitution of conserved residues within the active site alters the cleavage religation equilibrium of DNA Topoisomerase I. J Biol Chem. 2004 Dec 24;279(52):54069-78. *co-first authors
Barry-Lane PA, Patterson C, van der Merwe M, Hu Z, Holland SM, Yeh ET, Runge MS.
p47phox is required for atherosclerotic lesion progression in ApoE (-/-) mice. J Clin Invest. 2001 Nov;108(10):1513-22
Zweigner J, Jackowski S, Smith SH, Van Der Merwe M, Weber JR, Tuomanen EI.
Bacterial inhibition of phosphatidylcholine synthesis triggers apoptosis in the brain. J Exp Med. 2004 Jul 5; 200(1):99-106.
Appendix A - Teaching Experience
- NUTR 4812 - Advanced Human Metabolism II
- NUTR 7152 - Problems in Nutritin
- NUTR 7002 - Exercise and Nutrition Immunology
- NUTR 7422 - Cellular Nutrition II
- HMSE 4999 - Senior Project/HSS