Faculty and Staff Profiles
| Eddie Jacobs
| Assoc Professor, Electrical Computer Engineering
| Office Location: 206 Engr Science Bldg
| Office Hours: I am usually in my office daily from 7:30am to 4pm but recommend making an appointment via email.
My research interests are in the creation of novel imaging sensor technologies. This process involves developing a full understanding of the imaging process from the fundamental physics of propagation and image formation to the psychophysics of human observers. Full understanding is achieved when this knowledge can be translated into accurate computational models of sensor performance. I have over 20 years of combined experience in the modeling, analysis, and development of military sensing systems from both a private industry, government, and now, an academic perspective.My LinkedIn Profile
- Associate Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator, Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Memphis - July 2012 - present
- Associate Professor, Interim Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Memphis - July 2010 - June 2012
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Memphis - August 2006 - June 2010
- Branch Chief, Sensor Performance Modeling Branch, Modeling and Simulation Division - US Army Night Vision and Electronic Sensors Directorate - June 2003 to August 2006
- Electrical Engineer, Sensor Performance Modeling Branch, Modeling and Simulation Division - US Army Night Vision and Electronic Sensors Directorate - October 1994 – June 2003
- Electrical Engineer, Camouflage Development Branch, Camouflage Concealment and Deception Division - US Army Belvoir RD&E Center - April 1989 - October 1994
- Engineer/Scientist II,   - Tracor Aerospace Incorporated - December 1987 - April 1989
- First Tennessee Professorship - University of Memphis - 2015
- SPIE Fellow - SPIE - 2013
- Robert E. Wharton, Jr. Faculty Award for Excellence - University of Memphis - 2012
- PI Millionaire - University of Memphis - 2012
- IEEE Senior Member - IEEE - 2009
- Member Arkansas Academy of Electrical Engineers - University of Arkansas - 2008
- Research and Development Achievement Award - Department of the Army - 2004
- Best Paper - Military Sensing Symposium - 2003
- Signals and Systems - University of Memphis
- Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Memphis
- Statistical Optics - University of Memphis
- Random Signal Analysis - University of Memphis
- Probabilistic Systems Analysis - University of Memphis
- Engineering Psychophysics - University of Memphis
- Information Theory - University of Memphis
- PhD - Jing Zheng - 2008
- PhD - Orges Furxhi - 2010
- PhD - Imama Noor - 2012
- PhD - John Keith Anderson - 2013
- Senior Editor for the Journal Optical Engineering - June 2014 - present -   - SPIE
- Associate Editor, Optical Engineering, Infrared and Imaging Systems - November 2009 - June 2014 -   - SPIE
- Associate Editor, Optical Engineering, Student Advisory Board - November 2009 - 2011 -   - SPIE
- Patent No. WO 2010099328 A2, SPATIALLY-SELECTIVE REFLECTOR STRUCTURES, REFLECTOR DISKS, AND SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR USE THEREOF, Orges Furxhi, Eddie L. Jacobs, Thomas Layton -   -   -
- University of Memphis - Signals and Systems II - TAG Group - 2006-2010
- University of Memphis - Core TAG Group - 2010-Present
- University of Memphis - Interim Chair, EECE Department - 2010-2012
- University of Memphis - Faculty Senate Representative for EECE Department - 2012-2014
- University of Memphis - Undergraduate Coordinator - 2013-present
- University of Memphis - Chairman of Process Improvement Team for Faculty Sick Leave - October 2015 - May 2016
- University of Memphis - Chairman of EECE Department Tenure and Promotion Committee - 2013 - present
- R. L. Espinola and E. Jacobs, “Laser range gated imagers,” in Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering, Taylor and Francis, 2012.
- S. Susan Young, Ronald G. Driggers, and Eddie L. Jacobs, Signal Processing and Performance Analysis for Imaging Systems, Artech House, 2008.
- Eddie Jacobs, Simulation
of FLIR and Electro-Optical Sensors in Encyclopedia of Optical
Engineering, R. Driggers Ed., Marcel Dekker, 2003.
- Barnard KJ, Jacobs EL, Plummer PJ; Accuracy and uncertainty in random speckle modulation transfer function measurement of infrared focal plane arrays. Opt. Eng. 0001;55(12):121729. doi:10.1117/1.OE.55.12.121729.
- Hossen J, Jacobs EL, Chari S; Real-time classification of humans versus animals using profiling sensors and hidden markov tree model. Opt. Eng. 0001 (Jul 2015);54(7):073102. doi:10.1117/1.OE.54.7.073102.
- Noor I, Jacobs EL; Adaptive compressive sensing algorithm for video acquisition using a single-pixel camera. J. Electron. Imaging. 0001(May 2013);22(2):021013-021013. doi:10.1117/1.JEI.22.2.021013.
- Furxhi O, Jacobs EL, Preza C; Image plane coded aperture for terahertz imaging. Opt. Eng. 0001(Jun 2012);51(9):091612-1-091612-8. doi:10.1117/1.OE.51.9.091612.
- E. L. Jacobs and O. Furxhi, “Target identification and navigation performance modeling of a passive millimeter wave imager,” Appl. Opt., vol. 49, pp. E94–E105, 07 2010.
- J. Zheng and E.
L. Jacobs, “Video compressive sensing using spatial domain sparsity,” Optical
Engineering, vol. 48, no. 8, p. 087006, 2009.
- S. R. Murrill,
E. L. Jacobs, S. K. Moyer, C. E. Halford, S. T. Griffin, F. C. D.
Lucia, D. T. Petkie, and C. C. Franck, “Terahertz imaging system performance
model for concealed-weapon identiﬁcation,” Appl. Opt., vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1286–1297,
- R. L. Espinola,
E. L. Jacobs, C. E. Halford, R. Vollmerhausen, and D. H. Tofsted, “Modeling the
target acquisition performance of active imaging systems,” Opt. Express, vol.
15, no. 7, pp. 3816–3832, 2007.
- P. D. O’Shea, E.
L. Jacobs, and R. L. Espinola, “Effects of
image compression on sensor performance,” Optical Engineering, vol. 47, no. 1,
p. 013202, 2008.
- R. H.
Vollmerhausen, E. Jacobs, and R. G. Driggers, “New metric for predicting target
acquisition performance,” Optical Engineering, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2806–2818,
Furxhi and E. L. Jacobs, “Design and analysis of a spatially selective mirror
for submillimeter-wave imaging,” in Proceedings of SPIE (R.
and D. A. Wikner, eds.), vol. 7309, p. 73090K, SPIE, 2009.
Furxhi and E. L. Jacobs, “Analysis of a device for single pixel terahertz imaging,”
(J. O. Jensen, H.-L. Cui, D. L. Woolard, and
R. J. Hwu, eds.), vol. 6949, p. 69490A, SPIE, 2008.