Dr. Schilling's research examines the mechanics of human movement as pertains to responses and adaptations to exercise training in athletic, healthy, and aging populations, as well as in individuals with disabilities or neuromuscular disease. Of prime importance is the influence of the neuromuscular system on force development and time-dependent variables of muscular strength. Laboratory resources are also utilized for protocol development and research training activities as well as for the graduate and undergraduate academic programs.
Dr. Schilling is active in the National Strength and Conditioning Association and several other professional organizations.
The Department of Health and Sport Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy Biology - The University of Memphis - 2004
- Certified Club Coach   - USA Weightlifting - 2003
- Master of Science Exercise Science - Appalachian State University - 1999
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist   - National Strength and Conditioning Association - 1997
- Bachelor of Science Exercise Science - Winona State University - 1997
- Associate Professor/Graduate Faculty, Health and Sport Sciences - The University of Memphis - 2010-2015
- Strength and Conditioning Coach, Sport Science and Technology - United States Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs - 1999
- Research/Teaching Assistant, Health, Leisure and Exercise Science - Appalachian State University - 1998-1999
- Assistant Coach, Appalachian State University Track and Field - Appalachian State University - 1998-1999
- Laboratory Technician, Sport Science and Technology - United States Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista - 1997
- Chair's Award for Outstanding Service Contribution - Department of Health and Sport Sciences - 2012
- Outstanding Young Investigator - National Strength and Conditioning Association - 2010
- Editorial Excellence Award - Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research - 2009
- Loan Repayment Program - National Institutes of Health - 2008-2010
- Charter Fellow - National Strength and Conditioning Association - 2007
- Doctoral Fellowship - The University of Memphis Society - 2003
- Introduction to Exercise Science (U) - The University of Memphis
- Publication and Proposals in Health and Biomedical Sciences (G) - The University of Memphis
- Research Methods in HSS (G) - The University of Memphis
- Exercise and Sport Mechanics (U) - The University of Memphis
- Research in Sport Neuromechanics (G) - The University of Memphis
- Resistance Training Applications (U) - The University of Memphis
- Mechanical Analysis of Motor Skills (G) - The University of Memphis
- Advanced Methods of Strength and Conditioning (U/G) - The University of Memphis
- MS - Matthew Davis (Chaired) - 2015
- MS - Lisa Smith (Chaired) - 2015
- MS - Richard Easter (Chaired) - 2014
- MS - John Harry (Chaired) - 2014
- MS - Paul Whitehead (Chaired) - 2012
- MS - Matt McAllister (Chaired) - 2012
- MS - Katie Wells (Chaired) - 2011
- MS - Anna Moore (Chaired) - 2011
- MS - Catherine Williams (Chaired) - 2010
- MS - Kelley Hammond (Chaired) - 2010
- MS - Robyn Karlage (Chaired) - 2008
- MS - Andrew Galpin (Chaired) - 2008
- MS - Corey Lohnes - 2007
- MS - Mike Falvo (Chaired) - 2006
- MS - Jacque Barnes (Chaired) - 2006
- The University of Memphis - Exercise and Sport Science Academic Unit Coordinator - 2011-2015
- The University of Memphis - Institutional Review Board Chair - 2010-2011
- The University of Memphis - Institutional Review Board Co-Chair - 2008-2009
- The University of Memphis College of Education - Doctoral Taskforce - 2005 -2010
- National Strength and Conditioning Foundation - Board of Directors - 2012-present
- Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research - Editorial Board - 2006-Present
- Strength and Conditioning Journal - Associate Editor - 2004-2007
- National Strength and Conditioning Association - Research Committee Member - 2006-2009
- National Strength and Conditioning Association - Tennessee State Director - 2003-2005
- National Strength and Conditioning Association - South Central Regional Director - 2003-2006
- Schilling, BK and Hammond, K.G. Resistance Training for Parkinson's Disease. In, Resistance Training for the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Disease. Ciccolo and Kraemer, Ed., CRC Press, 2013.
- Schilling, BK.Therapeutic Potential of Exercise in Parkinson's Disease. In, Parkinson's Disease, 2nd Edition. Pfeiffer, Wszolek, Ebadi Ed. CRC Press, 2012.
- * Indicates student authorship mentored by Dr. Schilling.
- *MR Davis, R Easter, J Carlock, LW Weiss, EA Longo, LM Smith, JJ Dawes, and BK Schilling. Self-reported physical tasks and exercise training in special weapons and tactics (SWAT) teams. JSCR, 2016.
- Caia J, Weiss LW, Chiu LZ, Schilling BK, Paquette MR, and Relyea G. Do lower-body dimensions and body composition explain vertical jump ability? J Strength Cond Res., 2016.
- Caia J, Weiss LW,
Chiu LZ, Schilling BK, and Paquette MR. Consistency of lower-body dimensions
using surface landmarks and simple measurement tools. J Strength Cond Res,
- Galpin AJ, Gulick CN, Jacobo K, Schilling BK, Lynn SK, McManus RT, Costa PB, and Brown LE. The Influence of a Padded Hand Wrap on Punching Force in Elite and Untrained Punchers. International Journal of Kinesiology and Sport Science, 3(4), 2015.
- R Orr, JJ Dawes, C Elder, K Krall, M Stierli, BK Schilling. The relationship between the linear running speed and selected measures of power and strength amongst special weapons and tactics team officer. Journal of Australian strength and conditioning 23 (3), 23-28, 2015.
- *Harry JR, Paquette MR, Caia JP, Townsend RJ, Weiss LW, and Schilling BK. The Effects of Footwear Condition on Maximal Jumping Performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(6): 1657-1665, 2015.
*McAllister MJ, Hammond KG, Schilling BK, Ferreria LC, Reed JP,
Weiss LW. Muscle activation during various hamstring exercises. J Strength Cond
Res. 28(6):1573-1580, 2014.
Cantrell GS, Schilling BK, Paquette MR, and Murlasits Z. Maximal strength,
power, and aerobic endurance adaptations to concurrent strength and sprint
interval training. Eur J Appl Physiol. 114 (4): 763-771, 2014.
*Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Stone MH, Kilgore JL,
Chiu LZF. Snatch technique of United States national level weightlifters. J
Strength Cond Res. 28(3):587-591, 2014.
Weiss LW, DeForest B, Hammond KG, Schilling BK, Ferreira LC. Reliability
of goniometry-based Q-angle. PM R. 5(9):763-8, 2013.
*McAllister MJ, Schilling BK, Hammond KG, Weiss LW,
Farney TM. Effect of grip width on electromyographic activity during the
upright row. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Jan;27(1):181-7.
- Reed JP, Schilling BK, Murlasits Z. Acute neuromuscular and metabolic responses to concurrent endurance and resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Mar;27(3):793-801
- *Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Peterson D, Weiss LW. Possible New Modalities for the Navy Physical Readiness Test. Military Medicine, 177 (11): 1417-1425, 2012.
- Feldmann CR, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Whitehead PN. Association Of Drop Vertical Jump Displacement With Select Performance VariablesJ Strength Cond Res. 2012
- Galpin AJ, Fry AC, Chiu LZ, Thomason DB, Schilling BK. High-power resistance exercise induces MAPK phosphorylation in weightlifting trained men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012
- Paulus DC, Settlage DM, Schilling BK. Comparison of isoinertial to simulated inertial force from a controlled resistance exercise device for spaceflight - biomed 2011. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2011;47:41-5.
- *Ferreira LC, Schilling BK, Weiss LW, Fry AC, Chiu LZ.Reach height and jump displacement: implications for standardization of reach determination. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Jun;24(6):1596-601.
- Schilling BK, Pfeiffer RF, LeDoux MS, Karlage RE, Bloomer RJ, Falvo MJ. Effects of moderate volume, high-load lower-body resistance training on strength and function in persons with Parkinson’s Disease: a pilot study. Parkinson's Disease, Article ID 824734, 6 pages, 2010.
Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Bloomer RJ, Smith WA. Repeated bout effect is absent
in resistance trained men: an electromyographic analysis. J Electromyogr
- Ferreira, LC., L.W. Weiss, K.G.Hammond, and B.K. Schilling. Structural and functional predictors of drop vertical jump. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(9); 2456-2467.
Karlage RE, LeDoux MS, Pfeiffer RF, Weiss LW, Falvo MJ. Impaired leg extensor strength in individuals
with Parkinson's Disease and relatedness to functional mobility. Parkinsonsim
and Related Disorders. 2009;15:776-780.
Falvo MJ, Karlage RE, Weiss LW, Lohnes CA, Chiu LZF. Effects of unstable
surface training on measures of balance in older adults. J Strength Cond Res.
- Paulus D.C. and Schilling B.K. Ground reaction force comparison of bilateral symmetry with pneumatic resistance squat device and free weights - biomed 2009. Biomed Sci Instrum. 45:419-23, 2009.
Galpin AJ, Li Y, Lohnes CA, Schilling BK. A 4-week choice foot
speed and choice reaction training program improves agility in previously
non-agility trained, but active men and women. J Strength Cond Res.
- Paulus D, M. Reynolds and B.K. Schilling. Validity and reliability of a controlled pneumatic resistance exercise device. Biomed Sci Instrum 44:53-58, 2008
Falvo MJ, Chiu LZF. Force-velocity,
impulse-momentum: implications for efficacy of resistance training methods. J
Sports Sci Med. 2008;7:299-304.
RJ, Schilling BK, Karlage RE, Ledoux
MS, Pfeiffer RF, Callegari J. Effect of
resistance exercise training on blood oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease.
Med Sci Sports Exercise. 2008;40:1385-1389.
MJ, Schilling BK, Earhart GM. Parkinson’s
disease and resistive exercise: rationale, review, and recommendations. Mov
LZF, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Salem GJ. The influence of deformation on barbell
mechanics during a weightlifting pull. Sports Biomechanics. 2008;260–273.
JL, Schilling BK, Falvo MJ, Weiss
LW, Creasy AK, Fry AC. Force-time
measures during jumping and agility performance in female volleyball athletes.
J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:1192–1196.
Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Bloomer RJ, Smith WA, Creasy AC. Efficacy of prior
eccentric exercise in attenuating impaired exercise performance after muscle
injury in resistance trained men. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:1053–1060.
*Moore CA, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Li Y. Acute effects of augmented eccentric loading
on jump squat performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:157-162.
Bloomer RJ, Falvo MJ, Fry AC, Schilling BK, Smith WA, Moore CA.
Oxidative stress response in trained men following repeated squats or sprints.
Med Sci Sports Exercise. 2006; 38:1436-1442.
*Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Weiss LW. Techniques and considerations for
determining isoinertial upper-body power.
Sports Biomechanics. 2006;5:293-311.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK. A primer on weightlifting: from sport to sports
training. Strength and Conditioning Journal.
*Moore CA, Schilling BK. Theory and application of augmented eccentric loading.
Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2005;27:20-27.
Schilling BK, Fry AC, Chiu LZF, Weiss LW. Myosin heavy chain
isoforms expression and in-vivo isometric performance: a regression model. J
Strength Cond Res. 2005;19:270-275.
Schilling BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW, Chiu LZF. Myosin heavy chain
isoform expression: influence on isoinertial and isometric performance. Research in Sports Medicine. 2005;13:301-315.
Chiu LZF, Fry AC, Schilling BK, Johnson EJ, Weiss LW. Neuromuscular
fatigue and potentiation following two successive high intensity resistance
exercise sessions. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2004;92:385-392.
Chiu LZF, Schilling
BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW. Measurement of
resistance exercise force expression. J
Appl Biomech. 2004;20:204-212.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK. The stop clean and stop snatch: an alternative to the
hang. Strength Cond. 2004;26:10-12.
Chiu LZF, Fry AC, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Brown LE, Smith SL.
Postactivation potentiation response in athletic and recreationally trained
individuals. J Strength Cond Res.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW. Measurement of resistance exercise
force expression. J Appl Biomech. 2003;20:204-212.
Fry AC, Schilling BK. Weightlifting training and hormonal responses in
adolescent males: implications for program design. Strength Cond. 2002;24:7-12.
Schilling BK, Stone MH, O’Bryant HS, Fry AC, Coglianese RH,
Pierce KC. Snatch technique of
collegiate national level weightlifters. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16:551–555.
Schilling BK, Stone MH, Utter A, Kearney JT, Johnson M, Coglianese RH, Smith L, O’Bryant HS, Fry AC, Starks
M, Keith RE, Stone ME. Creatine supplementation
and health variables: a retrospective study. Med Sci Sport Exercise.
Schilling BK, Stone MH. Stretching: acute effects on strength and
power performance. Strength Cond. 2000,22:44-47.
- In the interest of space, only presentations in which Dr. Schilling was the presenting author are listed. He has over 100 presentations as a co-author, most from his students.
Appendix A - Teaching Experience
- EXSS2004 - Intro to EXSS
- EXSS7020 - Publication and Proposals in Health and Biomedical Science
- EXSS2004 - Intro to EXSS
- HMSE7010 - Research Methods in HSS