Faculty and Staff Profiles
| Dr. Sally R. Ross
| Office Location:
| Office Hours:
- Foundations of Sport and Leisure Management
- Administration of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Sport Promotional Culture
- Sport and Leisure as Popular Culture
- Sport in a Global Perspective
- Sport and gender
- Marketing of women athletes and women's sport
- Social responsibility of sport entities
- Member, Graduate Faculty, University of Memphis
- Affiliate Member, Center for Research on Women, University of Memphis
- Former Assistant Athletic Director, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Illinois Volleyball
- Doctor of Philosophy Sport, Recreation, and Tourism - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 2002
- Assistant Athletic Director, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 2000-2002
- Head Academic Counselor, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 1997-2000
- Academic Counselor/Life Skills Coordinator, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 1995-1997
- Krane, V., Ross, S.R., Miller, M, Rowse, J.L., Ganoe, K., Andrzejczyk, J A.,& Lucas, C.B. (2010). Power and focus: Self-representation of female college athletes Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 2(2), 175-195.
- Ross, S.R., Ridinger, L., & Cuneen, J. (2009). From drivers to divas: Advertising images of women in motorsport. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, 10(4), 204-214.
- Ross, S.R., & Parks, J.B. (2008). Sport management students’ attitudes toward women: A challenge for educators, Sport Management Education Journal, 2(1), 1-18.
- Ross, S.R., & Shinew, K.J. (2008). Perspectives of women college athletes on sport and gender. Sex Roles, 58(1-2), 40-57.
- Cuneen, J., Spencer, N.E., Ross, S.R., & Apostolopoulou, A. (2007). Advertising portrayals of Indy’s female drivers: A perspective on the succession from Guthrie to Patrick. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 16, 147-160.
- Ross, S.R., (2010, February). Athlete or Diva? Photo Image preferences of college and adolescent female athletes. Women’s Research Forum, University of Memphis.
- *Krane, V., Ross, S.R., Lucas, C.B., Barak, K.S., & Miller, M. (2009, November). Creating an image: Perspectives of college and adolescent female athletes. Presentation at the North American Society for Sociology of Sport, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- *Ross, S.R., Krane, V., Miller, M., Lucas, C.B., Ganoe, K., & Barak, K.S. (2009, June). Using visual methods to explore photographic self-representations of female athletes. Submitted to the International Conference for Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise, London, England.
- *Martin, N., Ross, S.R. & Irwin, R. (2009, May). Recycling corporate social responsibility: Greenwashing the sport industry fence? Paper presented at the National Conference of the North American Society for Sport Management, Columbia, SC.
- Krane, V., & Ross, S.R. (2009, February). Interpretations of college athletes’ photographic self-representations. Tucker Table presentation at the Tucker Center for Girls and Women in Sport, University of Minnesota.
- *Ross, S.R., Ganoe, K., Rowse, J.L., Lucas, C.B., Krane,
V., Miller, M. & Andrzejczyk, J. (2008, April). Power and focus: Self-representation of
female college athletes. Scholarly
Conference on College Sport, Memphis, TN.
- Krane, V., Ross, S.R., Miller, M, & Ganoe, K. (2007, October). This is a female athlete. Department of Popular Culture Colloquium Series, Bowling Green State University.
S.R., & Parks, J.B. (2007, May).
What are they thinking? Sport Management students' attitudes toward women. Poster presentation at the North American
Society for Sport Management Conference, Ft.
- *Ross, S.R. (2007, March). Judged on appearances: Gender performances of elite women gymnasts. Girls and Women Rock: Celebrating 35 years of sport and Title IX Academic and Legal Symposium, Cleveland, OH.
- *Ross, S.R. (2007, March). Women college athletes share understanding of their mothers’ sport involvement. Girls and Women Rock: Celebrating 35 years of sport and Title IX Academic and Legal Symposium, Cleveland, OH.
- *Apostolopoulou, A., Ross, S.R., Spencer, N.E. & Cuneen, J. (2006, June). Danica Patrick: The making and marketing of the “Indy Go-Girl.” The North American Society for Sport Management conference, Kansas City, MO. (Abstract published)
- Ross, S.R. (2005, October). The views of elite women athletes on the female/athlete paradox. Paper presented for Developmental Kinesiology graduate student seminar, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH.