Dr. Cogdal is the Clinical Coordinator of Clinical Mental Health Counseling Practice in the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research. Her role includes coordinating practicum and internship experiences for all counseling majors as well as teaching, conducting supervision, Co-directing the STEPS suicide prevention initiative and performing research (research teams include the topics of families & autism and suicide prevention).
Pam has worked at the University of Memphis since 1988. She has taught in the programs of clinical mental health counseling and counseling psychology (Counseling Educational Psychology and Research) since 1989 and has served as the Coordinator for Psychological Assessment in the Center for Rehabilitation and Employment Research (2002-2005).
Dr. Cogdal is a licensed psychologist and previous to her academic post, Dr. Cogdal served as the Director and chief psychologist for the Center for Student Development (now the Center for Counseling, Learning & Testing) which has been an APA accredited pre-doctoral training psychology program at the University of Memphis since 1987.
Pam pursues research in the areas of career and work-life balance, practice outcomes,assessment, suicide prevention, autism and couples/relationship issues.
She is also the Past-Chair of the Section on Independent Practice for APA’s Division 17, Co-Director of a SAMSHA suicide campus prevention grant (Memphis STEPS!) and a Career/life Balance Coach.
Throughout her career Dr. Cogdal has contributed to a number of publications and national presentations related to career, counselor training, diversity, needs assessments, women’s issues, resilience and coping.
Office 101A Ball Hall Phone- 901-678-4931
Dr. Cogdal's Practicum & Internship information and Class Syllabi are located at: http://umdrive.memphis.edu/pcogdal/Public
Please follow this link to professional counselor licensure information for Tennessee: Http://health.state.tn.us/licensure/index.htm
- BA - Sociology Sociology - Major: Family Sociology - Southern Il. University - Carbondale - 1980
- MA- Sociology Sociology- Major: Social Psychology - Southern Il. University - Carbondale - 1983
- PhD- Educational Psychology Counselor Education:Adolescent and Adult Counseling - Southern Il. University-Carbondale - 1989
- Coordinator of Clinical Counseling Practice, CEPR - College of Education - University of Memphis - 2007 - Present
- Associate Clinical Professor, CEPR -   -
- Senior Psychologist/ Group Coordinator, Center for Counseling Learning & Testing - University of Memphis - 2006 - Jan 2007
- Assistant Professor-CPSY/CEPR, CEPR-College of Education - University of Memphis - 2002 - 2006
- Affiliate Professor-CPSY/CEPR, CEPR-College of Education - University of Memphis - 2001-2002
- Director- Center for Student Development, Student Affairs/Five Depts. - University of Memphis - 1993-2001
- Manager of Psych. Services, Center for Student Dev. - University of Memphis - 1992-1994
- Adjunct Professor, CEPR - College of Education - University of Memphis - 1989 - 2001
- Staff Psychologist, Center for Student Dev. - University of Memphis - 1988-1992
- President's Leadership Award - Outstanding Campus Program "Blue Day" (STEPS/Active Minds) - University of Memphis - 2011
- Governor Bredson's Proclamation of Excellence in Work Towards Suicide Prevention - State of Tennessee - 2009
- Black Scholars Unlimited - Honored Faculty Mentor - University of Memphis - 2007
- President's MeerKat Team Builders Award - University of Memphis ( Pres. Rawlins) - 1999
- SAMHSA STEPS-2 Suicide Prevention - SAMHSA Federal Gov. - $300000 - 2009-2012
- SAMHSA Suicide Prevention Grant - STEPS - Federal Government - $250,000 - 2006-2009
- Peterson Minority Research Grant - Graduate School - University of Memphis - $5000 - 2007 -2008
- New Faculty Grant - Coping With Stress for New Professionals (Co-Author) - University of Memphis - $2500 - 1994
- Testing Software Proposal - College of Education/ The University of Memphis - $3100 - 2004
- Retention Grant - Student Affairs - University of Memphis - $5000 - 2002-2003
- Graduate Assistantship Development- 3 GA positions/ 2 Fully Funded - University of Memphis - Tuition/Fees for 2 and Stipends for 3 - 2004 -2006
- Catholic School Testing Partnership - Supervision of Assessment - Spring 2011
- Human Resources Training/Faculty & Staff - STEPS2 Suicide Prevention - Fall 2010 - Spring 2011
- University of Memphis - Career PI Fair CEPR - 2006 -2011
- University of Memphis - Grad School Fair - 2009 - Present
- University of Memphis - TEP Interviews College of Ed. - 2006 - 2011
- University of Memphis - Welcome Back COE - 2006- 2011
- University of Memphis - Admissions, Coordinator COUN - 2008-2009
- University O f Memphis - Psychology Honors Research Judge - Spring 2009
- COE University of Memphis - Diversity Committee (ICL) College of Education - 2002 -2004
- University of Memphis - Co-chair of Academic Status Review - Academic Affairs - 2000-2006
- University of Memphis - Presidents Task Force - Campus Environment Study - 2006-2008
- APA - Chair Independent Practice Section Div 17 APA - 2006-2009
- University of Memphis - NCATE Site Visit - 2008
- Casey, L., Cogdal,P., & Para, G. (2011).Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress in Parents Following a Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- McDevitt-Murphy,M.,Casey,L., & Cogdal,P. ( 2010). Helping Individuals Heal from Rape Connected to Conflict and War. In E. Martz (Ed.) War Induced Trauma.
- Sayger, T.,Uruk, A., & Cogdal, P. (2007). Examining the influence of family cohesion & adaptability on trauma symptoms and psychological well being. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy.
- Cogdal,P. (2007). Consultation. The Encyclopedia of Counseling Psychology. Vol. 2 PP 82-84. SAGE
Meyer,R, Rice,D., Cogdal,P., James,R. & Moulton,P (2007). The TASSLE Handbook.
- Donnell,C., Reyes,S.,Cogdal,P. & Porter,D. (2004). Examining rehabilitation counselor preparedness as vocational experts. Journal of Forensic Vocational Assessment.
- McClellan,S.Cogdal,P.,Lease,S. & Londono-McConnell,A.(1996). Development of the Multicultural Assessment of Campus Programming. Measurement & Evaluation in Counseling and Development. 29 (2), 86-89.
- Lease,S.,Cogdal,P.,& Londono - McConnell,A.(1996). Assessing the learning environment for gay, lesbian and bisexual students.The College Student Development Journal.
- Lease,S.,Cogdal,P., & Smith,D. (1995). Counseling expectancies relating to counselor's sexual orientation and client's internalized homophobia.Journal of Gay Lesbian Psychotherapy.
- Pistole,C.& Cogdal,P.(1993). Empowering women: Taking charge of our university careers. Initiatives Journal.
- Stabb,S. & Cogdal, P.(1992). Minority college men in personal counseling. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy.
- Cogdal,P. & Sanders,T.(1988). Exercises in empathy for counselor trainees. Illinois Association for Counseling and Development Quarterly.
- Okwumabua,T. & Cogdal,P. (2011). “Tools and Strategies to Prevent Suicide on a College Campus”. Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network Annual Conference, Nashville.
- Roberts,B.,Okwumabua,T.,&Cogdal,P.(2010). College students' opinions related to receiving treatment for suicidal thoughts. The Annual Mid-South Psychology Conference,Memphis.
- White,A., Cogdal,P., & Okwumabua,T. (2010). The relationship between college students perceptions about suicide and suicide myths". The Annual Mid-South Psychology Conference.Memphis.
- Elliott,C., Okwumabua,T., & Cogdal,P. (2010). College students' perceived knowledge of suicide and confidence in suicide prevention skills: A comaprison of health related and nonhealth related majors.
O’Brien,J., Cogdal,P. & Stamler, V. (2009). Professionals and grief: Coping with the death of a client. The 117th Annual American Psychological Association Conference, Toronto.
Cogdal,P. & DeFouw, J. (2009). Suicide prevention training: Does it work? Partners in Prevention Conference, Nashville.
Okwumabua, T., Blake, N., & Cogdal,P. (2008). Engaging community scholarship: Aids, suicide and diversity student training programs. Southeastern Psychological Association, Atlanta. Okwumabua,T.
Cogdal, P., Gillelyn, G., Cooke, N., Hunter, B., & Haskins,E. (2008). Safeguarding Students Against Suicide. Memphis in May Conference, Memphis.
Gibbs,K., Cogdal, P., Saulter,R. & Shreve,S.(2008).Healthy Collaborations: Prevention Stories from the Blue and the Orange. Memphis in May Conference, Memphis.
O’Brien,J.,Cogdal,P.,Eichel, S., Savoy, H. & Burnes, T. (2008). Clinical Practices for Diverse Populations. International Counseling Psychology Conference, American Psychological Association Conference, Chicago.
Obrien, J., Cogdal, P., Vasquez, M.& Carter,J. (2008). Social Advocacy as Part of Counseling Psychology’s Clinical Directions. The 116th Annual American Psychological Association Conference, Boston.
- Donnell,C., Cogdal,P., Badgett,K., Howell,C., & Stayley,M. ( 2005). Examining counselor attitudes towards African American women with eating disorders. Poster Accepted for the 113th Annual American Psychological Association Conference, Washington, D.C.
- James,R. & Cogdal,P.( 2005).An ecosystemic model for crisis intervention training.Poster accepted for the 29th Annual Crisis Convening. Chicago,IL
- Uruk,A., Sayger,T., & Cogdal,P. (2005). Family relations, hope and coping strategies among clients with disabilities. Poster presented at The Multicultural Summit, Division 17- A.P.A. Hollywood, California.
- Uruk,A., Cogdal,P. & Sayger,T. (2005). Family relations hope and coping strategies among university students. Poster presented at The Multicultural Summit, Division 17 - A.P.A. Hollywood. California.
- James, R..,& Cogdal,P.(2004).An ecosystemic approach to crisis intervention. The American Counseling Association Conference. Kansas City, Kansas.
- Strauser,D. Lustig,D, James, R., & Cogdal,P. (2004). Does trauma impact career decisions, vocational identity and work personality? The American Counseling Association. Kansas City, Kansas.
- Obana,M. & Cogdal,P. ( 2004).The study of stress in Japanese working women. The 112th Annual American Psychological Association Conference. Hawaii.
- Strauser,D., Cogdal,P., Lustig,D. & Uruk,A. (2004).Differences in recalled trauma symptoms based on disability status. The 112th Annual American Psychological Association Conference. Hawaii.
- Obana,M. & Cogdal,P. ( 2004). College student body art: Diversity in the construal of self expression. The 11th Biennial Conference of the North American Personal Construct Network. Memphis, TN.
- Cogdal,P. & Claybon,L. (2004). Assessing barriers to online counseling instruction. The Annual Distance Education Conference. Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- Uruk,A. , Cogdal,P.,& Bridges,S. (2003). Changes in family composition: Coping and coherence in a college population. Harvard's Emerging Adulthood Conference sponsored by-The American Psychological Association. Boston, Ma.
- Uruk,A. Smith,L.,Cogdal,P & Sayger,T.(2003). The relationship of family cohesion to career thoughts and work personality. The 111th Annual American Psychological Association. Toronto,Canada.
- Cogdal,P.,Donnell,C., & Yanchak,K. (2003).Families coping with disabilities.The National Rehabilitation Association Conference. Nashville, TN.
- Strauser, D., Lustig,D., Donnell,C.& Cogdal,P. (2003). Examining the impact of trauma on career thoughts for individuals with disabilities. National Council on Rehabilitation Education. Tucson,Az.
- Cogdal, P., Brignole, M., Young, R.,& Thompson, B. (2002). The YO SMART intrusive intervention. Tennessee Counseling Association, Memphis.
- Strauser,D.,Cogdal,P.,& Lustig,D.(2002). The Impact of trauma and sense of coherence on career thoughts. Tennessee Counseling Association. Memphis.
- Strauser, D., Lustig,D.,Cogdal,P., Mosher,C.,& Smith,L.(2003). A study of the Career Thoughts Inventory using clients with disabilities. American Counseling Association. Anaheim, Ca.
- James,R., Cogdal,P., Pazar, J., White,T.,& Coke - Weatherly,A. (2002). A vicarious traumatization: Compassion fatigue. Delta State University, Invited Trauma Forum.
- Cogdal,P. (2001). Crisis intervention for professionals following "9-11". West Tennessee Counseling Association. Memphis.
- Krantz,P,King,A., & Cogdal,P. (2000).Counseling centers for the new century. The Annual AUCCCD Director's Conference. Snowbird,Utah.
- Cogdal,P & Phox, B.(1998). Computerized testing issues for counseling centers.The Annual AUCCCD Director's Conference. Santa Fe.
- Carson,D .Bingham,R.,& Cogdal,P.(1996). Restructuring in student affairs.The National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. Chicago.
- Cogdal,P.,& Cozzens,D. (1995).Family matters. The Annual AUCCCD Director's Conference. New Port, Rhode Island.
- Cogdal,P & Willette,C. (1994).Roundtable for women practitioners: Getting established. The American Psychological Association Conference.
- Lease,S.& Cogdal,P. (1994).Assessing the Needs of Gay Lesbian Students. The American Psychological Association Conference.