Faculty and Staff Profiles
| N. Dewaine Rice
| Assoc Professor Director, Counsel Education Psych Research
| Office Location: 0100 Ball Hall
| Office Hours: Mondays, 3:00-5:00, Thursdays, 2:00-3:00, and by appointment
Dr. Rice has been an educator for over 35 years as a university administrator or faculty member. He is currently the Assistant Chair & Director of Counseling Programs in the Counseling, Educational Psychology and Research department at The University of Memphis. He is a Licensed Professional Counselor/ Mental Health Service Provider and an experienced therapist. Additionally, Dr. Rice has distinguished himself as a respected hypnotherapist and is a Fellow with the National Board of Clinical Hypnotherapists.
- B.S. Psychology - University of Central Arkansas - 1971
- M.Ed. Counseling and Personnel Services - Memphis State University - 1975
- Ed.D. Counseling and Personnel Services - Memphis State University - 1980
- Asst. Director, Residence Life - Memphis State University - 1975-1996
- Director, Residence Life - Memphis State University - 1977-1986
- Asst. to V.P. & Director, Student Affairs/Residence Life - Memphis State University - 1986-1994
- Asst. Prof. (adjunct), Counseling - Memphis State University - 1980-1994
- Asst. Prof. (adjunct), Psychology - Christian Brothers University - 1990-1994
- Director/Assoc. Prof., Counseling, Ed. Psyc. & Research - The University of Memphis - 1994-Present
- Assistant Chair & Director of Counseling Programs, Counseling, Educational Psychology & Research - The University of Memphis - 2011-present
- Phi Kappa Phi - The University of Memphis - 1990
- Omicron Delta Kappa - The University of Memphis - 1991
- National Residence Hall Honorary. The Univ. of Memphis Chapter was named (The N. Dewaine Rice Chapter) - Residence Hall Association - 1995
- Clinical Hypnotherapy - University of Memphis
- Theories of Counseling and Personality - University of Memphis
- Mental Health Interventions - University of Memphis
- Mental Helath Counseling Internship - University of Memphis
- University of Memphis - Director of Counseling Programs - 1999-present
- University of Memphis - Retention Committee Chair - 1995-present
- Rice, N., & Darke, E. (2000). Leadership vs. academic scholarship recipients' retention and cumulative grade point averages, The College Student Affairs Journal 19 (2), 20-28.
- Rice, N., & Thomas, R. (2000) Comparative perceptions of living environments by black and white female students. The Journal of College and University Student Housing 29 (1), 27-31.
- Rice, N. & Lightsey, O. (2001) Freshmen living learning community: Relationship to academic success and affective development., The Journal of College and University Student Housing 30 (1), 11-17.
- Lustig, D., Strauser, D., Rice, D., & Rucker, T. (2002). The relationship between working alliance and rehabilitation outcomes. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin. 46 (1) , 25-33
- Mollerup, J., & Rice, N. (2002) The effects of Holland's self-directed search on career decisions of college freshmen. Global Visions for Counseling Professionals 6 (1), 131-136
- Rucker, T. F., Rice, N.D., Lustig, D.C., & Strauser, D. R. (2003) Gender differences in rehabilitation counseling consumer involvement and employment outcomes. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling. 34 (2), 22-26
- Eberhardt, D., Rice, N., & Smith, L. (2003). Effects of Greek Membership on Academic Integrity, Alcohol Abuse and Risky Sexual Behavior at a Small College. NASPA Journal 41 (1), 137-148
- Horne, S, Rice, N., & Israel, T. (2004). Heterosexual Student Leader Attitudes Regarding Gay Lesbian and Bisexual Students. NASPA Journal, 41 (4), 760-772
- Rice, N. D. (2006). The Rainbow Dog: A Postmodern Fable, Counseling Today (January), 15-24
- Myer, R., Rice, N., Moulton, P., James, R., Cogdal, P. & Allen, S. (2007). Triage Assessment System Training Manual for Higher Education. (CIP-Solutions, Inc)
- Patton, T. and Rice, N. (2009) Religious minorities and persistence at a systemic religiously-affiliated university. Christian Higher Education Journal, 8 (1), 42-53.
- Holler, T., Browning, C., & Rice, N., (2010) Client personality and preference for counseling approach: does match matter? Professional Issues in Counseling (fall)
- Armitage, A., Rice, N. (2000, May) Living Learning Centers and Student Retention. Paper presented at the Restructuring for Urban Student Success Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Rice, N. (2000, November) Applications of Schlossbergh's Transition Theory for Clients with Disabilities attending College. Paper presented at the Mid-South Professional Counseling and Case Management Symposium, Memphis, TN
- Rice, N., Lustig, D., Strauser, D. (2000, November) Applying Working Alliance to Conceptualizations of Consumer Perceptions. Paper presented at the Mid-South Professional Counseling and Case Management Symposium, Memphis, TN
- Rice, N. (2001, February) Identifying Depressive Disorders. Paper presented at the ConserveCare Annual General Meeting, Memphis, TN.
- Rice, N. (2003, March) Utilization of Clinical Hypnosis in Mental Health Counseling. Paper presented at Edith Cowen University, Perth, Western Australia.
- Rice, N. (2005 February) Taking Care of Your Patients through the Life-cycle. Paper presented at Southern Educational Conference of Optometry, Atlanta, GA
- *Rice, N., Ambeul, R. (1999, October) The Value and Disadvantages of Teaching Hypnotherapy in Counseling and Counseling Psychology Programs. Paper presented at the American Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, New Orleans, LA
- *Thomas, R., Rice, N. (1999, October) Future Challenges to College Counseling and Student Affairs in Counselor Education Programs. Paper presented at the American Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, New Orleans, LA
- *Rucker, T., Rice, N. (2001, May) Perceptual Differences of the Counseling Relationship Based on Gender. Paper presented at the Memphis in May Student Affairs Conference, Memphis, TN
- *Rice, N., Kelly, K., O'Neill, K. (2004, June) Personal Construct Hypnotherapy. Paper presented at the Conference of the North America Personal Construct Network Conference, Memphis, TN
- *Rice, N., O'Neill, K. (2005, April) Personal Construct Hypnotherapy. Paper presented at the American Counseling Association Conference, Atlanta, GA
- *Rice, N. (2006, November) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Theory and Practice. Paper presented at Youth Village’s National Conference, Memphis, TN
- *Armitage, D., Rice, N., James, R., Groenendyk, P. (2007, June) Triage for Psychological Disorders: Innovations in Training. Paper presented at the Association for College and University Housing Officers- International Conference, Seattle WA
- *Myer, R., James, R., Moulton, P., Rice, N. (2008, March). Inter-rater Reliability and Validity of the Triage Assessment System for Students in Learning Environments (TASSLE). Paper presented at the American Counseling Association, Honolulu, HA
- Rice, N. (October 2008) Clinical Hypnotherapy Applications. Paper presented at the Tennessee Mental Health Counselors' Convention, Memphis, TN
- Rice, N., Morrill-Richards, M. (2010). The Utilization of Hypnotherapy and Neuro-Linguistic Programming in Treating Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Paper presented at the American Counseling Association , Pittsburgh, PA